Have you ever had something happen to you that immediatly brings you to your knees in complete thankfulness? It happened to me this morning. I opened my email and there it was. A friend of mine (someone I know but not all that well) had sent a list of things that came to her mind when she thought of Gary and I. A list of commpliments I supose. It was so encourging that it immediatly brought me to my knees.
It has been an interesting week for me. Some amazing highs and some horrible lows. I struggle with the same old thing, you know self worth...low self-esteem...rejection etc. We were privileged this week to have a great group of people into our home saturday night. We ate, visited and sang together. We talked about many things but one thought spoke to me. Learning to just say thank you when given a compliment. Seems simple but it can be so hard to do. If any of you are like me in any way then you probably find that most of the time seeing any good in ourselves is almost impossible. We tend to offset compliments with a negative reply. In my case I find I say thank you but inside I'm thinking "ya whatever". So I'm putting that question out there for you. How do you respond to a compliment? Can we learn to take the positive and believe it? Do we have enough faith in God to believe how much He loves us ? I know I want to get to that place.... strong and confident in who God made me. I was so stunned by God's response to me this morning through my friend. He heard me struggling in my heart this week over what I could possibly have to offer to the church and to others. He answered it in the form of a list of compliments.
And so my friend I'm just saying thank you.
3 comments:
what a nice thing to do. we so don't verbalize our appreciation of friends much at all. Good post. When I get a compliment, I tend to think of more negative things. Its so hard to recieve. I wonder why.
What a cool thing!! I don't take compliments well, really I don't take them at all. Someone could point out something negative though and I would beleive it right away. I think it's because of all the negative feelings I have toward myself, things implanted since childhood.
I too want to learn to be "strong and confident in who God made me" Thanks for sharing.
wow. You gave me a lot to think of. I too am not good at receiving a compliment. I remember when I was told that God was 100% pleased with me I questioned it. Yeah right, why me? When I get a compliment it takes every part of me to not respond negatively and to say thank you. Sometimes it is done through clenched teeth.
I think that God has spoken to me through your words today and it is something that I will really try to think on without brushing it off. You know what I mean?
I want you to know that you are amazing. You are a sense of encouragement to me and you may not know that. I am being honest. I want to get to that place too, where we are strong and confident in who God made us to be.
I am sure that I am running in circles so I will leave it at that. Thank you for sharing what God has spoken to you and through what you have shared God has spoken to me. I hope that makes sense.
YOu are a wonderful person. A wonderful friend. I am sure that I could send you a list too!! Hey, I just might do that. hehe. Hugs.
Misty
Post a Comment