Friday, February 25, 2005

Two years ago I was awakened in the middle of the night, 4:09 am to be exact, and as I sat straight up in bed looking at the digital display on my clock the scripture reference Zechariah 4:9 came to me. Zechariah is book I'd never taken the time to read before and I found it to be quite intriguing that this just popped into my head in the middle of the night so when I got up in the morning I immediately looked up the passage and here is what it said,

The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this temple.
His hands shall also finish it

Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you.

And here is what is written in my bible about this paticular verse.....

The Power of God

The greatest displays of God's power are not necessarily shows of force, mighty acts or creative splendor. Rather the supremacy of God's power is seen in the ways He accomplishes His purposes through mere vessels of clay made mighty because He has infused them with His life.

This text addresses a worn and weary Zerubbabel, who, having gallantly laid the temple's foundation, was about to succumb to discouragement. But the word of God makes a declaration that ,by the Spirit of God, Zerubbabel will complete the work God has destined for him.

Discouragment can always be answered with God's ability to grace and empower the human soul. His might is seen by what He does through the weak, the insignificant, the powerless - a babe born in Bethlehem, a timid Gideon, a melancholy Jeremiah, a band of twelve ordinary men.

Rest in this assurance: As long as the heart is turned toward Him in childlike trust, He will enable anyone to complete the work to which He has called them.


My hands will complete the work set before me, by His power alone. His strength is made perfect in my weakness. After reading this I felt encouraged knowing that I am weak. The foundation has been laid, God began calling me when I was a child and when I begin to feel discouraged I always return to this passage.

No comments: